The Bishop Museum of Science and Nature offers an enrichment program for students who are homeschooled. This program is a series that is taught throughout the school year and builds upon previous lessons. The homeschool program is based on a three-year content cycle and is structured to touch on major benchmarks in state and national science standards. The three-year cycle rotates through Physical Science, Earth & Space Science, and Life & Environmental Science.
2020 is focused on Earth & Space Science. Classes run from October 2020 through May 2021 and will meet on the 1st and 3rd Tuesdays of each month at the Museum.
Registration for the 2020-21 session opens September 1, 2020.
For Juniors – This session is full. Please email SMcCarthy@BishopScience.org to be added to the waitlist.
Junior-Level classes for students in grades 2-5 run from 1-2 pm. These classes combine group discussions and hands-on classroom activities with extensive use of The Bishop’s exhibitions, Planetarium, and Parker Manatee Rehabilitation Habitat. When thematically appropriate, they may also include mini-field trips to the Riverwalk for nature observation. One parent or guardian for each Junior Level student is welcome to attend class with their child if they so choose.
Junior Earth & Space Science — Begins at 1pm October 6
- Junior-Level Syllabus
Junior-Level RegistrationThis session is full.
Senior-Level classes for students in grades 6-12 run from 2-3pm. These classes include a range of discussion and inquiry-focused activities, including those designed to practice laboratory skills.
Senior Earth & Space Science — Begins at 2pm October 6
- This year’s homeschool sessions will be limited to 10 students each, to allow for adequate social distancing in our classrooms.
- A waiver and authorization form must be completed for each student as part of their registration.
- Masks must be worn by students throughout their time at the Museum. Staff members will wear masks as well. We ask that parents/guardians wear masks when approaching our staff to sign in their students.
- All students must be signed in and out of class by a parent or guardian. Please do not drop students off at the Museum without signing them in.
- Students and participating parents will be subject to temperature and general health screening prior to being admitted to class.
- Homeschool classes are taking place on a day when the Museum is otherwise closed to the public, therefore, we regret that we cannot admit other family members to the Museum while the class is in session.
Waiver and Authorization Form (required)
If you are registering for the program through a method other than online, please download and complete this waiver and authorization:
Fees and Additional Information
Fees cover the 16-class series.
- $200 for members of the Discovery Society
- $250 for all others
For more information or to ask questions, please contact Susan McCarthy at 941-746-4131, ext. 113, or SMcCarthy@BishopScience.org