Welcome to Your Wow!
We’re excited to welcome you to The Bishop Museum of Science and Nature!
The health and safety of you and our staff is our first priority. It’s important to us that you feel safe and comfortable as you enjoy your time at The Bishop.
We want to let you know what you can expect.
THE BISHOP COVID-19 RESPONSE
Since the beginning of the pandemic, the COVID-19 requirements for staff and visitors at The Bishop Museum of Science and Nature have reflected the most up-to-date scientific guidance available. From the onset, wearing masks, social distancing, and practicing good hygiene have been consistently identified as the best ways to prevent community spread of the virus.
Recently, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) introduced a new tool, COVID-19 Community Levels, to help communities decide what prevention methods are most appropriate for their populations. While social distancing and good hygiene continue to be best practice, the CDC now states that is not always necessary to wear masks depending on the current Community Level. Community Levels are based on two variables: the number of hospital beds available locally and the number of COVID related hospital admissions.
- When the level is low, the CDC does not recommend wearing masks.
- When the level is medium, the CDC recommends that those who are at a high risk for severe illness wear masks.
- When the level is high, the CDC recommends that everyone wear a mask when indoors in public.
At all levels, the CDC notes that anyone may choose to wear a mask at any time for any reason and that people with symptoms, a positive test, or exposure to someone with COVID-19 should wear a mask. Additionally, everyone should continue to stay up-to-date with COVID-19 vaccines, and be tested if they have symptoms.
Community Levels are updated each Thursday on the CDC website (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/community-levels.html), and The Bishop will update our mask policy accordingly. We will do our best to share any updated mask requirements on our website and social media as soon as this information becomes available.
- 10am to 5pm, Tuesday through Saturday
- Noon to 5pm on Sunday
- Closed on Monday
WHAT THE BISHOP IS DOING TO KEEP YOU SAFE
- We have enhanced cleaning and disinfection of frequently touched surfaces, including hand railings and restrooms.
- We’re providing hand sanitizer stations throughout the Museum.
- Online reservations are strongly encouraged.
WHEN YOU PLAN YOUR VISIT
- The natural history museum, The Planetarium, the Mosaic Backyard Universe, and the recently renovated Parker Manatee Rehabilitation Habitat are open.
- Guests are strongly encouraged to purchase tickets before they arrive, either online or by phone.
- Guests who need assistance purchasing their tickets online may call 941-746-4131.
WHEN YOU ARRIVE FOR YOUR VISIT
- Bottle-refill water fountains will be available. Please bring your own bottle.
- Bathrooms are available throughout the Museum.
- An elevator is available. We ask that one group use it at a time.