The Facility Director reports to the CEO and will serve a fundamental role in The Bishop Museum of Science and Nature’s Staff as well as other programs and tasks. This person will exercise sound judgment and strong communication skills to oversee facility operational systems and support facility based needs for all departments.
- Overall facility maintenance
- Regularly assess the current condition of all building systems including: electrical, air conditioning, plumbing, roofing, life support, pool operation related systems, and other essential facilities and equipment.
- Maintain accurate records of the condition of the equipment and other systems in the building and ensure that all the equipment and other systems are working properly.
- Create monitoring systems or programs in the institution to detect problems as early as possible. Initiate interventions to solve problems in the facility.
- Assess building future needs and relay information and strategies for preventative maintenance to CEO as warranted.
- Environmental safety regulation compliance
- Assess safety of the building from fire, flood, hurricane and other hazards and make recommendations as warranted.
- Develop back-up or alternative plans or systems for common problems.
- Ensure compliance on all Museum and OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) rules while carrying out maintenance functions.
- Initiate an active campaign on safety measures in the facility for staff, visitors and animals.
- Educate other department staff on the proper use and care of facility equipment
- Establish the staffing needs for the department and make recommendations to the CEO.
- Recruit and hire facilities and housekeeping staff as approved, ensure training and performance management.
- Develop staff development programs such as skills enhancement trainings and sessions.
- Grounds maintenance
- Establish work plan for grounds upkeep and manage with vendor and staff resources per budget.
- Ensure grounds are beautifully maintained.
- Work with the city to ensure city responsibilities are maintained.
- Ensure that housekeeping routines and staffing reflect the needs of the facility for the high standard of cleanliness established.
- Security supervision
- Ensure museum security systems fully operational and make recommendations for improved security.
- Ensure staff safety in facility work and for general staff work.
- Ensure animal safety with fully operational equipment for life support.
- Ensure building is safe for all visitors.
- Facility rentals
- Ensure rental groups have staff assistance and security is maintained for the Museum property.
- With facility ongoing and future needs in mind, participate in preparing and administrating the budget.
- Negotiate service contracts.
- Keep best interest in mind for Museum when expending funds for contracts, repairs, etc.
- Synchronize department work process within the work plan of other departments.
- Assist with manatee accession and deaccession as well as with physical exams as needed by Aquarium Director.
- Provide support for exhibit and program development and implementation for Education, Exhibits and Aquarium.
- Other accountabilities:
- Act with minimal supervision to develop protocols and procedures and to determine methods for achieving objects.
- This job description is not designed to cover or contain an exhaustive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- The use of all appropriate and/or mandated safety equipment is required.
Importantly, we recognize and honor that the qualifications required to excel in this position can come from a range of both professional and lived experiences. Below we describe what we believe to be important qualities for a candidate to have while remaining open to the diversity of experiences that can lead to these skill sets. We strongly encourage anyone who feels passionate about this work and believes they have what it takes to thrive in this role to apply.
- Knowledge of carpentry, plumbing, electrical, HVAC and general maintenance.
- Ability to operate maintenance equipment and power tools.
- Ability to effectively manage time and lead a team of employees
- Good customer service and people skills.
- Excellent prioritization, planning and organization skills.
- Ability to utilize current computer software programs: Microsoft Office Suite Avigilon security Metasys
- Knowledge of general information technology helpful.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Valid Driver’s license.
- Flexible Schedule
- Paid Health Care Plan available
- Collaborative Culture
- Opportunity for advancement
- Generous PTO & Sick Time policies
Range of Experience
- 10+ years of relevant experience in a facility management position with increasing responsibilities for staffing, safety and budget management.
High level of knowledge with buildings systems including, but not limited to, HVAC electrical plumbing carpentry paint roofs and grounds
Additional experience and qualifications could be considered for educational requirements.
Please fill out and submit this form and then send your resume and cover letter to Human Resources at The Bishop:
Email to: HR@bishopscience.org
The Bishop Museum of Science and Nature
PO Box 9265
Bradenton, Florida 34206