Museum Educator (part time)
Museum Educators facilitate high-quality guest experiences for Museum visitors by developing and delivering our family, youth, and public programs in support of the Museum’s mission to inspire the joy of discovery and wonder for all ages in science, natural history, and culture.
This is a part-time position with a variable schedule of 10-20 hours per week, depending on Museum tour and program needs. A minimum availability of three full days between Wednesday and Sunday is required, including at least one full Saturday and/or Sunday. The Museum is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays; however camp and other programming may be offered on those days.
- Provide both formal and informal interpretation in all areas of the Museum, including the Mosaic Backyard Universe, for school groups of all grade levels, adult groups and general museum visitors
- Lead groups on Museum field trips, virtual field trips, and tours, facilitating age-appropriate, customized learning experiences
- Present stories and talking points on topics related to general science, astronomy, paleontology, archaeology, ecology, and Florida history
- Facilitate the Mosaic Backyard Universe, including engaging with guests and maintaining exhibition cleanliness
- Assist with Museum programming such as science camp, community literacy initiatives, astronomy workshops, and outreach programs
- Organize and maintain educational materials: discovery carts, biofacts, supplies and museum collection items
- Follow established guidelines to support the safety of guests, animals, and collection items
- Help maintain program and training materials ensuring dissemination of the most up-to-date information
- Greet and organize groups upon arrival
- Assist in training new staff and education volunteers
- Other duties as assigned
- Excellent customer service, presentation and communication skills
- Willingness and ability to learn and share information on a variety of topics, and cross-train in a variety of Museum areas including the Parker Manatee Rehabilitation Habitat and The Planetarium
- Excellent time management skills, with the ability to work independently and with a team with minimal supervision
- Comfortable working with groups of all ages
- Comfortable with Microsoft Office as well as technology items such as tablets, iPads, microphones and the like
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule to include weekdays, weekends, and evenings.
- Must be able to stand and walk for long periods of time
- Must be able to lift, pull and push 25 pounds
Education and Experience
- BA/BS in related field(s) or working toward such a degree (if still in college, you will be asked to provide your course schedule each semester)
- Experience in education, museum or public presentation/performance fields is strongly preferred
- Prior experience working with children, preferably in a group setting
To apply, please email cover letter, resume and references to BFacer@BishopScience.org or HR@BishopScience.org, The Bishop Museum of Science and Nature, P.O. Box 9265, Bradenton, FL 34206. No phone calls please.
Help with the implementation of the Museum’s housekeeping plan by performing general cleaning and organizational tasks for the facility. Duties could include representing the Museum at both in-house and rental events using the facility. This position is 40 hours per week, Wednesday through Sunday. Some weekday mornings, and evening events may occasionally be required. Position requires closing the Museum on Weekends. Must be reliable, have a strong work ethic and attendance record. The ability to utilize basic custodial equipment for routine and special cleaning is a plus.
Job Type: Full-time
- Pay: Based on experience
- Dental insurance
- Life insurance
- Vision insurance
- Medical Insurance (For full time only)
- Policy of masks for all employees and guests.
- Custodial: 1 year (preferred, but not mandatory)
- One location (The Bishop Museum of Science and Nature, Bradenton, Florida)
- Bi weekly or Twice monthly
- Outcome-oriented — results-focused with strong performance culture
- People-oriented — supportive and fairness-focused
- Team-oriented — cooperative and collaborative
This Job Is:
- A job for which military experienced candidates are encouraged to apply
- Open to applicants who do not have a high school diploma/GED
- Open to applicants who do not have a college diploma
- Benefit Conditions: Waiting period may apply
Please contact Jack Balkan at Jbalkan@BishopScience.org