The Bishop Museum of Science and Nature, an important part of the area’s educational, economic and cultural landscapes, is growing — opening a new wing in 2019 and enhancing its service to the region.
Facility Rental and Sales Coordinator
The Facility Rental and Sales Coordinator has primary responsibility for selling and coordinating use of The Bishop’s facility by outside parties and maximizing the revenue potential in support of the Museum’s mission-based programs.
- On an ongoing basis work with internal departments to build and maintain a schedule for available rental spaces/days, keeping Altru calendar current with scheduled clients.
- Develop and implement a marketing plan (with Communications input) to increase sales of Museum rental spaces through contact with new, current and past clients to reach or exceed sales goals.
- Work with Communications to create collateral documents.
- Build and maintain a steady base of contacts and customers by calling on local businesses and organizations in order to promote facility rental opportunities at the Museum. Execute good lead followup.
- Develop relationships within the local community groups and professionals, such as event or wedding planners, caterers, suppliers to build a team that understands and works well within Museum spaces.
- Prepare, negotiate, execute and manage detailed event contracts with clients describing facilities and services for events at the Museum. Ensure that Museum goods or services that were contracted for are carried out.
- Help ensure that clients manage their vendor contracts, permits and licenses to protect Museum interests and respect Museum mission.
- Coordinate and serve as liaison for facility rentals clients and Museum departments and staff.
- Orient clients at their start time to verify setup and timing etc. Get group ready for hand-off to Facilities.
- Build customer satisfaction by exceeding expectations and investigating and resolving any and all issues.
- Identify areas for revenue growth as part of the rental program.
- Keep Museum contract current and make recommendations for revision/updates/simplification.
- Work with Facilities for event security staffing and work closely with Visitor Services staff and Accounting to facilitate invoicing and payment receipt.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and two years’ experience or a combination of post-high school education and experience equal to six years.
- Multi-tasker able to wear many hats, pro-actively identify problems and take initiative to resolve them.
- Physically able to bend, lift and handle boxes up to 30 lbs.
- Ability to organize, plan and implement multi-faceted work load with minimum supervision and as a member of a team.
- Ability to work flexible schedule, which will include evenings and weekends.
- Knowledge of applicable technology (computer and media).
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and demonstrate effective customer service skills.
- Prior event planning experience strongly preferred. Working knowledge of catering industry vocabulary and standards and laws pertaining to events.
- Excellent organizational skills; commitment to accuracy and attention to detail.
- Valid driver’s license.
This support position reports to the Director of Exhibitions and is a vital team member to exhibitions, collections, curatorial and interpretation teams. This position provides assistance developing, producing, installing, de-installing, shipping, moving, repairing, project managing and daily maintenance of exhibition projects both in-house produced or rented and for permanent dioramas and exhibition cases throughout The Bishop.
The duties listed are designed to provide a representative sampling of key tasks and responsibilities associated with the job. They are not a complete list of all the duties performed by this position.
- Use of power tools for fabrication and construction of mount making using paper, wood, metal and plastics
- Gallery walls and exhibition furniture painting
- Basic electrical applied to lighting track systems and fixtures and digital equipment
- Computer skills, graphic art programs, presentation programs, data base programs
- Digital technologies Web 2.0, Virtual Reality, Mobile Applications, audio, video
- Awareness of art handling techniques for museum objects
- Awareness of museum collection’s management protocols
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Strong communication and analytical skills
- The ability to work at times on multiple projects simultaneously and independently
- The ability to climb ladders and lift/push 50 pounds and drive a car or pickup truck
- Excellent customer service, presentation, and writing skills
- Excellent time management skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects with varying deadlines
- Must be able to stand and walk for long periods of time
The ideal candidate works well both independently and as a collaborative, diplomatic team member, is able to work early mornings, late evenings or weekends when necessary during installations and de-installation of exhibitions.
Preferred Education and Experience
- BA/BS in related field(s), studio art, museum studies, industrial design or four years related experience in a museum Preparator position
- Experience in a museum, historic park, construction, furniture manufacturing, building maintenance or similar hands-on skills highly desirable
Please send resume and cover letter to HR@bishopscience.org
Visitor Services Specialist (part time)
The Bishop Museum of Science and Nature, Inc., an important part of the area’s educational, economic and cultural landscapes, is growing, opening a new wing in 2019 and enhancing its service to the region. The Bishop is seeking a part time Visitor Services Specialist to join its Visitor Services Team. The Visitor Services Specialist will provide excellent customer service and assist visitors in making their visits a memorable one.
Candidate must have a minimum of two years of customer services experience in retail or front gate positions. Must be proficient in cash POS operations as well as computer applications necessary for the position. Flexible schedule, weekends, holidays and some evenings required. Ability to lift 30 lbs. and stand for four to five hours at a time. Excellent people skills.
Please send cover letter and resume to HR@SouthFloridaMuseum.org.