The Accounting Associate position is a unique opportunity for someone looking for a career in the accounting field. This position will work together with the Director of Accounting to perform the multiple accounting functions for The Bishop and work closely with the diverse staff and departments. Job functions include accounts payable, cash receipts, payroll, employee benefits and audit. The full-time, on-site position reports to the Director of Accounting and is non-exempt.
- Post daily receipts to the general ledger
- Process accounts receivable, invoices as needed
- Process accounts payable
- Maintain employee HR files
- Assist with audit preparation
- Assist staff as needed
- Maintain archival records and shredding procedures
- Other duties as assigned
- 5 years working in an accounting position
- A.A. degree in accounting a plus
- Accounts payable
- Purchase Order system
- Implementing a purchase order system a plus
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail
- Accustomed to working with deadlines
- Valid Driver’s License
- QuickBooks Premier
- Blackbaud/Altru (preferred)
- Microsoft Office programs: Word, Excel (Advanced), Outlook (required)
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position for extended periods of time operating a computer and other offices productivity devices such as a calculator, telephone, and copy machine
- Able to lift 10 lbs.
Please send your resume, cover letter and salary requirements to the Human Resources at The Bishop:
- Email to: HR@bishopscience.org
- Mail to:
The Bishop Museum of Science and Nature
P.O. Box 9265
Bradenton, FL 34206
Annual Fund Manager
The Bishop Museum of Science and Nature in downtown Bradenton is seeking an Annual Fund Manager to be responsible for the overall success of the Museum’s Annual Fund, donor engagement and recognition, and overall program effectiveness. Reporting to the Chief Strategic Officer, the AFM is part of the Advancement team and works closely with Museum staff, volunteers and Trustees. The AFM will also be involved with capital fundraising. Other activities within the Advancement team are Museum membership, monthly giving, planned giving, grant management, events and revenue generation.
A minimum of 5 years of relevant fundraising experience is required.
The ideal candidate thrives in a fast-paced environment; is a strategic thinker and pays attention to detail, works well as part of a team; is able to set priorities, manage multiple priorities simultaneously and follow through to completion of tasks; maintain a high level of confidentiality; has database experience, is proficient with the Microsoft Office suite and has strong writing and speaking skills. Museum provides generous PTO, health insurance and retirement plans. Please send cover letter and resume to Martha Wells at MWells@BishopScience.org by September 15 2021.
Manager, Engagement and Donor Relations
The Manager, Engagement and Donor Relations reports to the CEO, is a member of The Bishop’s Advancement team and works collaboratively with staff, volunteers and Trustees. Primary responsibilities include the Museum’s membership and Bishop Foster Friends programs and donor relations. Will also work with the Director of Communications and Brand to plan, coordinate and execute public relations activities, and with Special Events Manager on the promotion of earned revenue strategies including special events and event rentals.
This position is responsible for the overall performance and growth of The Bishop’s membership program including:
- Developing and presenting an annual calendar of programs that attracts new members, strengthens relationships with Museum supporters and adds value to the admission benefits of membership;
- Working with the Advancement team to create and execute strategies for member and donor acquisition and renewal;
- Handling day-to day management of the program, including regular contact with Museum supporters;
- Managing reciprocal relationships (associations such as Association of Science and Technology Centers and North American Reciprocal Museum Association as well as regional cultural attractions);
- Reporting on key metrics, (renewal rates, lapsed memberships, upgraded memberships, etc.);
- Processing membership payments and other donations;
- Work with Visitor Services to ensure a positive entry and sign-up experience for members on site;
- Bishop Foster Friends;
- Creating and coordinating all components of the program including promotion, fulfillment and donor relations.
Assist Annual Fund Manager with planning and implementing donor communications and cultivation opportunities.
Work with the Director of Communications and Brand to continue building awareness and positive impressions of the Museum among our target audiences by securing consistent positive news coverage. Responsibilities include:
- Planning media relations outreach opportunities to integrate with the Museum’s communications plan and development calendar;
- Maintaining media relations database;
- Crafting news releases and other media relations materials;
- Shooting photos of Museum events, programs, etc.;
- Contacting media decision-makers proactively to persuade them to cover positive news stories about The Bishop;
- Responding quickly to incoming media inquiries;
- Coordinating interviews between reporters and staff, Board Trustees, and/or volunteers;
- Acting as Museum spokesperson when appropriate;
- Staffing interviews;
- Obtaining clips of news stories;
- Compiling reports outlining media placements;
- Work with Manager of Special Events and Business Development to promote earned revenue opportunities.
The ideal candidate thrives in a fast-paced environment; works well as part of a team; is able to set priorities, manage multiple priorities simultaneously and follow through to completion of tasks; maintain a high level of confidentiality; has database experience, is proficient with Microsoft Office suite and has strong writing and speaking skills.
Help with the implementation of the Museum’s housekeeping plan by performing general cleaning and organizational tasks for the facility. Duties could include representing the Museum at both in-house and rental events using the facility. This position is 40 hours per week, Wednesday through Sunday. Some weekday mornings, and evening events may occasionally be required. Position requires closing the Museum on Weekends. Must be reliable, have a strong work ethic and attendance record. The ability to utilize basic custodial equipment for routine and special cleaning is a plus.
Job Type: Full-time
- Pay: Based on experience
- Dental insurance
- Life insurance
- Vision insurance
- Medical Insurance (For full time only)
- Policy of masks for all employees and guests.
- Custodial: 1 year (preferred, but not mandatory)
- One location (The Bishop Museum of Science and Nature, Bradenton, Florida)
- Bi weekly or Twice monthly
- Outcome-oriented — results-focused with strong performance culture
- People-oriented — supportive and fairness-focused
- Team-oriented — cooperative and collaborative
This Job Is:
- A job for which military experienced candidates are encouraged to apply
- Open to applicants who do not have a high school diploma/GED
- Open to applicants who do not have a college diploma
- Benefit Conditions: Waiting period may apply
Please contact Jack Balkan at Jbalkan@BishopScience.org