Sponsored by Mosaic, FREE Summer Learning Day for Sarasota, Manatee students focuses on fighting summer learning loss
The Bishop Museum of Science and Nature will help highlight local summer learning opportunities during a FREE Summer Learning Day, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, June 29.
The event, which is one of more than 300 Summer Learning Day activities serving more than 300,000 youth nationwide, includes FREE admission for Manatee and Sarasota County students in grades K–8 along with one adult chaperone for each student. Students will also receive a Summer Reading Log to encourage reading and provide even more opportunities for free return trips to The Bishop.
This event is in support of a nationwide movement — National Summer Learning Week — aimed at keeping kids learning, healthy and safe in the summer and it takes place in concert locally with the Suncoast Campaign for Grade-Level Reading, which helps families identify area resources that offer fun, engaging learning opportunities.
“Throughout the school year, we provide enhanced learning opportunities for students through field trips and other special programs,” said The Bishop CEO Brynne Anne Besio. “But we know from many studies that summer presents a break in learning for many children that can take a month or more to overcome when school begins again in the fall.
“As one of the leading nonprofit organizations in the region, we believe it is part of our mission to do all we can to support students and help them gain better footing for academic success. That’s why we’ve partnered with the Suncoast Campaign for Grade-Level Reading for the last five years to host Summer Learning Day and to provide additional opportunities for the students to come back again and again for free over the summer. We’re grateful to Mosaic for helping to sponsor this annual free day.”
In addition to free admission to The Bishop, students who attend Summer Learning Day will also receive a Summer Reading Log. For every five hours of summer reading a student logs, they will be able to return for another free day at The Bishop (one parent or guardian will also get free admission). This special Summer Reading Log offer runs through Saturday, Aug. 31.
Summer Learning Day at a Glance
- When: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, June 29
- What: Free admission for Manatee and Sarasota County students in grades K-8, plus free admission for one adult chaperone for each student.
- Where: The Bishop Museum of Science and Nature, 201 10th St. W., Bradenton, FL, 34205
- Registration: Not required.
- Earn Even More Free Time at The Bishop: Students will have the opportunity to earn more free admission days. Just pick up a Summer Reading Log during Summer Learning Day. For every five hours of reading from the booklet’s reading log that the student completes, they (and a chaperone) will earn another free day at The Bishop. (Offer valid through Saturday, Aug. 31, 2019.)
Fast Facts: Summer Learning Loss
- 2.6: Number of months of math skills lost by most students during the summer months
- 2: Number of months of reading skills lost
- 6: Number of weeks kids spend re-learning old material to make up for summer learning loss
- 2/3: Amount of income-based achievement gap that is attributed to summer learning loss by the start of high school